1. Among the best menu items at Kampuchea
are the num pang, Cambodian sandwiches that are similar to Vietnamese banh mi. Since I wrote about Kampuchea they've opened a simple sandwich shop near Union Square called...Num Pang
2. One afternoon in Staten Island
I visited four pizzerias, a luncheonette that makes classic egg creams, and a German bar.
3. There are plenty of Greek restaurants in Astoria, and one of the best of them, S'Agapo
, is Cretan. And that's no lie.
4. At Ise, a midtown Japanese restaurant, I was culinarily transgendered
5. In 2008 I discovered Zaytinya
, my favorite restaurant in Washington, D.C.
6. Every time I go to Chicago I absolutely must have a hot dog
, preferably from Gold Coast.
7. I was thrilled to find a world-class vindaloo at Tadka
8. The tonkotsu broth for the ramen at Ippudo is so rich I dubbed it "Liquid Pork
9. Who'd have imagined that the best Cantonese roast pork
in the city would be found at a fast food joint on E. 60th St.?
10. Yunnan cuisine
is one of the most difficult Chinese cooking styles to find in the U.S., but I ate Yunnan food in Chicago, San Francisco and Brooklyn.