Wednesday, December 27, 2006

So Long, James Brown

The obits and eulogies for the Godfather of Soul have all been taken care of by now, so I'd just like to share an anecdote.

About fifteen years ago I was at San Francisco International Airport waiting for a delayed flight back to New York. I can't remember what the problem was, but the ground crew were unable to give any indication of when our plane might be arriving. There was one woman who kept trying to get information from the woman at the check-in counter, or to get put on a different flight in order to make a connection. The woman pleaded, "I need to make that connection to Paris. My husband is the road manager for James Brown, the Godfather of Soul. I need to get to Paris and meet the band. I have to get on the tour with the Godfather of Soul."

The airline employee, who was about as white and midwestern as they come, replied, "Madam, I realize you want to see your godfather, but there's really nothing we can do at this time."

1 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

If a customer were annoying an agent who did know who James Brown was, that would be the perfect way to annoy her back without being overtly rude.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home