Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Word of Mouth, Year 6 and Beyond

Next month marks the 5th anniversary of Word of Mouth. When I started, albeit reluctantly, I vowed to post something at least once a week, and I've generally kept that promise, though I did take a summer vacation from blogging last year.

Five years is a milestone, I guess, and it's also time to reconsider the future of the blog. While I still enjoy writing about food, it's becoming harder (except when I travel) to find new things to write about. I've mined my culinary memories and I've already written about many of my favorite New York restaurants. I don't have the time or inclination to scour the furthest reaches of the city for undiscovered gems; Chowhound and blogs like Eating in Translation are good for that. Anyway, I never intended this to be primarily a restaurant review site.

So here's what I've decided. From now on I'm no longer holding myself to a post (or more) a week. Word of Mouth will now be more intermittent. I'm hoping to devote more time to my fiction (or whatever those short things I do are), and will continue to post links to online publications.

If you want to be sure you don't miss any of my thrilling no-longer-weekly posts, you might consider subscribing to email alerts from Feedblitz.

Over the next few weeks I'll be publishing a retrospective, forty memorable meals from the first four years (in four parts) and a selection of my favorite food photos.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Wine Mule said...

Obviously, you need a bigger travel budget. Thanks especially for the Tapas of Seville post. Made my mouth water and my feet itch.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Yasmin said...

Hi Peter,
I came accross your blog by accident while searching for a recipe and went on to send your description of 2 San Francisco restaurants to friends of mine who are going to move there for a year - Thanks for your reviews!
Now, noting your openness to 'unusual' foods I think you would probably LOVE our "Wild Foods Festival" here in New Zealand (NZ). Every Year the small township of Hokitika on the Westcoast of NZ hosts this fabulous and crazy festival.
The motto could be: "If it crawls, it's dinner".
Possum, kangaroo, crocodile, salmon with sandfly sauce, pickled or raw punga (fern fonds), wildberry waffles, westcargots - snails in garlic butter, and haggis are among the tamer entrees.
On the wilder side you can eat soup made with deer genitals, “sushi” with live worms, huhu grubs (= the LARGE grub of a big beetle, live or roasted), 'colostrum shooters', whitebait patties (lots of tiny whole fish in a light batter), duck giblets, mountain oysters (=grilled sheep testicles), sheep/pig eyes, scorpions, candied crickets, grashopper, worm truffles, bulls penis sausages, and wasp larvae ice cream. And many, many more interesting things!
Here is their official website:
www.wildfoods.co.nz
But you can google "hokitika wild food festival" for lots of photos.

Hope you can make it there one year. I have been to lots, and love it every time. Lots of new and wacky things turn up every year. :)
Cheers, Yasmin

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Yasmin said...

Me again.
If you decide to try the Wildfood Festival thing and need any help (eg. you need to book accomodation really early as it is a small town and gets swamped with visitors for the festival), let me know. My email: yfranzmayr@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers, Yasmin

12:45 AM  
Blogger Peter Cherches said...

Thanks for the info, Yasmin...I'll certainly keep it in mind.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home