Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Instant Gratification

I've been publishing my fiction for 32 years. Often I'd send a story out and hear nothing for months. Some stories actually appeared in print several years after they were accepted.

Times have changed.

Today, at 1:51 PM I sent a story to the online journal Flash Fire 500. At 4:36 PM I received an email that the piece had been accepted. At 6:50 PM I received an email that the piece had been posted on the site.

If this were 1977 I'd still be looking for a stamp.

Read "A Man Who Loved to Polka" immediately!

2 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Good work.

Not to say "I told you so" but I told you this over a decade ago when I first started publishing regularly in webzines.

Tell me again why you waited so long. I'm asking seriously.

How many more people will read this story than they would if we were back in the late 70s and 1980s and publishing in magazines with a circulation of 500?

I remember you telling me that the most we could hope for was that at least the other writers published along with us in the issues that our stories appeared in would read the work.

I'm still working on you to do a POD book of recent work! That's the next step for you.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Peter Cherches said...

I waited so long because I wanted to make sure the internet wasn't just a fad.

I've been afraid of PODs ever since I saw Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Actually, I will discuss the ins and outs and ups and downs of POD with you.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home