Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pickles, A Love Story

This is an excerpt from a super-8 film I made during my last year in high school, in 1972 or '73. I took a special section of English devoted to film, at Midwood High School. The teacher was Sybil DelGaudio, who went on to a distinguished academic career, and made a couple of films herself. I believe she was working on her doctorate while she was teaching high school. Sybil was one of those great, inspiring teachers, and she encouraged both my creativity and my weirdness. The film was called "Snot and Other Delights" (I was a teenager), and it was a montage of vignettes, including a couple of animations. Here is the pickle scene, my first YouTube upload.

5 Comments:

Anonymous KB said...

that is very touching. Pete- you forgot (or probably intentionally failed to )to mention the Midwood HS connection with your choice of background music- Love Story!!! whose book was written by another illustrious MIdwood HS alum- Erich Segal. Maybe you can reach out to him for our next reunion.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous JE said...

Touching AND moving! Loved it, Pete!!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Beth Preddy said...

That was an erotic thrill for a Sunday morning. But I toast your effort by offering you a reading of one of my early poems, written when I was seven, circa 1961:

Springtime is a very special time
To get there you don't even need a dime
No, not a dime, not a nickel
Just relax
And eat a pickle.

The point being that pickles appeal to youthful imaginations.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

this looks exactly like two sea cucumbers mating! although the pickles get to it much speedier than our invert friends do.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

شركة المثالية
المثالية

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home